Seeing as I bought this little project in 2017 I thought it was about time I got round to doing a short thread about it's progress.
It's a 4L1 frame which came with a decent amount of stuff, rear subframe was intact, it had a good seat, solid tank, wheels, rebuilt clocks etc. Also had a battery tray, inner rear guard, number plate mount, oil tank, air box, pillion grab handle and lots of other stuff. There were a few major items missing, most obvious of which was an engine. It might be a 4L1 but the logbook had already been changed to 350 so it was obvious which way I should go with this.
Frame was taken for powder coat and I also took the wheels and asked for them to be to stripped of the white baked on Dulux gloss. "Dip 'em in the acid bath, DO NOT blast them." was my request.
And the result??
I must have spent a week or so polishing by hand and rubbing my finger ends flat with very little progress before howard on here told me about someone local who could sort them, thanks Steve.
A lick of paint and tried it in it's new home.
Apart from the engine another important and usually hard to find item that was missing were a pair of front brake calipers. I've got Triumph calipers on my N2 and find them pretty good and seeing as they fit straight on the later YPVS forks I thought I'd go down that route. £50 for a pair seemed reasonable, less than the new seals and pads to bring them up to scratch. I used F2 fork bottoms and LC2 waisted stanchions to keep it all the same length as LC forks and so that the standard LC headlamp ears would fit, something else that came with the project parts.
Like plenty of others, electrics is not my strong point, although being severely colour blind I do have a bit of an excuse. That and a dislike for untidy electrics and the fact the loom that came with the bike was a tad worse for wear meant that for me the best option was a new loom from the LC club.
With me now having a rolling chassis it was time to think about an engine, actually I'd had an idea of what I wanted for quite a while, it was just a matter of finding one. Many thanks to Yogi for coming up with the goods, just what was needed for me to move on.
One or two bits missing but it was sent accompanied by a substantial box filled with all manner of shiny (aka expensive) bits to Mutts place for him to assemble. Using a mix of alchemy, magic and his renowned skills it wasn't long before a single lump made it's way back. Thanks Dave.
A thing of beauty it may be, and it's hard to recognise any part of what I sent, I'd have been quite happy to look at it on the worktop but it needed to go into it's own place,
With the engine back in the frame and me having done all the other jobs that could be done it was time to send it back to Dave's for the engine finishing off. It still needed exhausts, carbs, ignition and a day on the dyno to set it up.
About this time I had an e mail, with photo, from Clive at Rapier Paint in Hull saying my bodywork was ready to collect. Another piece of loveliness to look at while the rest of the bike was away.
When the bike was returned it was just a case of getting everything back on and enjoying it.
I've had the bike on the road three years now and not had a single fault in well over 2,000 miles. The gearing took a while to sort though, I thought a bigger motor with lots more poke than stock would pull a higher gear but all that did was magnify the wallop when the engine hit the powerband at 5,500, all good now though.
The dyno chart shows the difference from when it was first built and again when it was checked after about 1700 miles, with a bit of tweaking by Dave the dip at 4,500 to just over 5k was ironed out and can't be felt when riding.
With lock down last year, and then winter, I'd only done 500 miles between mot's so thought about moving it on, however once spring arrived and I've been out on it again I'm in two minds. I'll maybe use it for another couple of months & see how I feel. There was a lot went into this build and I know I'll never be in a position to do another, I don't have any spares left so it would be way too costly to start from scratch like I did with this.
Post by shaunthe2nd on May 11, 2021 22:03:54 GMT 1
Nice bike, and nice thread. well done. Now enjoy it!
RD 350 LC - 1982 - bounty like my bike in the 80's, finally got an original UK one. Recent build of 1983 31k LC2 in French Blue Triumph Street Triple R (sorry!) Rough 250LC frame and casings that one day will be a bike