Hi Baz Cheers. I think a few guys on here have own aircooleds in the past. They were the hooligan bike before the Lc's !! Nearly there now. Heads on today. I managed to source some genuine head gaskets from Germany;
And trying to find some nice head bolts isn't easy - not like for the Lc and Pv's anyway. I did clean up the originals a bit but I knew they wouldn't be good enough, so I swapped them for the nice stainless ones on my 430 !!;
Cheers fellas Alex, I will probably get some standard Ramair foam pods for it. I don't think I will need the angled filters I bought for the Café bike on this build. I plan to weigh the engine once it's complete with side cases. It will be interesting to see how much heavier it is than an Lc engine. It does feel considerably heavier. You can see how Yamaha must have looked at this and designed the Lc to have less parts, and also save weight by using more plastic where possible. It's another easy engine to build though, and well within the capability of anyone with time, patience and some tools. Not cheap though - it certainly cost more than an Lc, like for like. Some things seem better - the splined crank is strong, but heavy, so you wont want to over rev it, it' nice the head gaskets are reusable, and Yamaha base gaskets for the 400 cost £7.69 each as opposed to an F2 costing £23.74 ! There are far more trick parts available for the Lc/Pv if that's your thing, but you can get some bits for these. Parts like a gear change shaft are nla, and the Shambits one they sell doesn't fit properly apparently ! Oil pump could be a headache. I've sent pics to Arrow, and what I have is a real mismatch, with some parts nla for the pump and drive, so it will only get built if Gary can sort parts. After doing a few Lc and Pv engines in a row, it's come as quite a challenge to get this built to the standard I want. Paul at PJME did a brilliant job of the crank and rebore, and uses only top quality parts, so that's reassuring. Fowlers had most parts in stock for next day delivery, so that's good too, and certain parts are shared across to the Lc engine, so some used parts are easily found too. Hope it helps anyone choosing to build one in the future
Nice job there dusty . Years ago i had a 400c i loved it and had it for some years . Had the motor stripped down once i think it was a crankshaft job . Had a re bore done on it and the firm bored it out to ypvs clearance . I ended up with 1.25 o/s pistons in it .Ran it for about a year then sold it on ,wish i still had it . Yes the lumps are much heavier than the lc .
The radial heads are being remade in the US, so you can buy them new as well, around £500 posted I think I did seriously consider them at the start of the build, but couldn't justify the expense, especially when my standard heads were detonation free and in really good nic. Plus, after research, they are reported to be noisier than standard - resonating fins I guess, and don't offer much, if any, performance gains, so it would have been purely an aesthetic upgrade. They do look cool though, and the newer design has the longer bottom fin which looks much better where it meets the barrel fin;
I think I'm going for Cerakote on this and the left side casing so it matches the barrels and heads, so Simon supplied it in a blasted only finish. Hopefully drop it all off to Jamie tomorrow. Gary has the oil pump so that's in hand too. I lightly polished the clutch pressure plate this afternoon and have some Ti bolts on there way from Martin at Mbd. Just felt the engine needed a little "something" to finish it off
That is looking fantastic Dusty. I had never heard of that particular type of coating until your builds and I like it very much. This engine is a work of art and will no doubt end up in a bike of equally high standard 😉 Looking forward now to the next steps John
Thanks fellas The side casings were dropped off to Jamie yesterday - will be a couple of weeks due to his workload. If the satin powdercoat is a good match for the Cerakote, then he will go with the powder, or if not the cases will get Cerakoted. It's quite a thin finish so may show up a few marks in the cases. Chatting to Jamie, it turns out he had "some bloke called Hag Hughes" in the other week, getting his Lc frame and wheels blasted by Jamie, so Hag might be building another Lc !! Cant do too much now until the cases come back, but I did treat the pressure plate to some bling in the form of gold anodised Ti bolts from Martin at MBD;
I gave the pressure plate a light polish first - you only see the centre part with the bolts so no point going too mad. Also found two odd Ramair filters that I fitted - I will get new ones eventually;
Powdercoated cases came back today. Jamie did them in satin black, which is a good match for the Cerakote graphite black. The powdercoat is a bit thicker, so fills a few imperfections in the casings better than the thinner Cerakote finish would;
Repacked with fresh grease it now works as it should. There is a ball bearing inside the mechanism, and that was moving freely by the time I finished, so that was good. Another part nearer to a completed engine !!
I was keen to keep the pump, so sent it off to Arrow to see what could be done. This one was a bit of a challenge for Gary I think, due to mismatched parts and availability issues with ac pumps. But, as always, Gary has done an amazing transformation;
Need to get another litre of gear oil as I only had 900ml, so that's been ordered. May spray the inside of the genny cover satin black as it's bare alloy where Jamie blasted it, plus I need to get new oil lines and the rubber flap on the inside of the genny case, but other than that, it's done ! Oh, I also blinged the genny cover with one of Simon's covers;