Post by donkeychomp on Jan 17, 2020 23:49:09 GMT 1
Lovely to see the old gal getting a new lease of life. One thing is that mudguard. The 3 grommets in it don't look right to me. Can you maybe trim it down a little and get rid of that part? Or fill the holes and give it a blow over?
Hi Alex It will get trimmed eventually ! The bottom of the mudguard looks too wide for the relatively skinny wheel/tyre, so I want to reshape it so the back curves look like the front curves. That will lose the 3 holes. Only decided to remove the mudflap once I had refitted the guard, so I will come back to it when I'm looking for a job In the meantime, I've stripped the rear brake system out. Theses are the bits that are now redundant;
The rear master cylinder is a Magura item, and quite chunky looking. Not sure whether to use it or get a Brembo type like on the Pv's ? I will make the mounting plate and then decide. It should work far more effectively once done.
Hi Veg I've already got my name on the list for the next batch of Metmachex Lc swingarms with slotted adjusters. I'm no.21 on the list, so they are proving popular ! I've also spoken to Tamsyn regards a Met arm for an Rd400 frame, twin shock, but to take an Rgv rear wheel. I'm excited about that one !
Haha, no, wouldn't want to bore anyone with my biking "near misses" !! Made the bracket for the rear master cylinder today. Only bit of metal I could find was some ally plate about 5mm thick ! A bit heavy duty but at least it wont flex
The brake action has been transformed, so it was worth the effort. You can see the original frame bracket has been opened up over the years to accept different master cylinders, and now looks quite rough. When the frame eventually gets stripped for powdercoating, that bracket will get cut off. Just need to polish up the rearsets a bit, but that's a job for later in the week. I'm not going to refit the pressure switch banjo bolt - I want to hide all the wiring as much as possible so I will just fit a standard bolt, so it's one less cable to think about.
I used the exact same rear master cyl on a T140 cafe racer I had a few years back. I think it was originally on an 1150 GS which I found a little wooden when first in use. Never quite got my head around the hydraulic calcs with cylinder bore size against piston sizes in the twin pot caliper. I think the BM had a 4 pot job on the back. I had to play around with lever lengths on the rearsets to get it just right for the lockheed caliper and when finished worked really well.
Same as you I incorported a hydraulic brake switch but fitted it to an inline coupler on the brake pipe. As the bike was a right hand gear change with the lever and caliper on opposite sides of the bike, it was easy to hide the coupler between the frame spars, keeping the set up clean. This is a similar thing to what I used but dont think I got it from these guys.