Well, my 31k is stopped while im waiting for my mate to paint the panels, so i'd thought id make a start on the F1 frame i bought, i got loads of parts with the 31k so im going to try and build up another bike, as the frame is a genuine F1 i might as well go that route but its not going to be a faithful nut and bolt build as its going to be a non matching number bike that i will sell once done, so its never going to be worth big money.....
Bought a set of clocks off Jon from this parish that had a few dints on the surround, (that i was well aware when i bought them) filled them with some J B kwik bond, sanded down and a lick of paint, there is a mark on the inside of the speedo but after umming and ahhing about opening up the clock, i decided against it, i can live with it !
Looking at my selection of wheels, (2 rear and 4 front !!!) i picked the best ones, made a start on the rear, usual thing, DA sanded the polished bits, scotbrite, masked up, painted the rest black, unmasked and lacquered the whole wheel.
Order a pair of Avon roadriders so hopefully i can get the arse end together end of next week, once ive finished my shifts.
Next the laborious part, masking up the wheel I use normal masking tape for the centre, spoke edges, just lay it on then use a sharp blade to cut. For the rim, i use lining tape to get a nice sharp edge, then again, just normal tape
I gave it a few hours to dry in the toasty cabin, then de-mask. Always best to remove masking tape while hot and before the paint get too hard, as it could possibly flake at the edges when removing tape
Back outside again for the final couple of coats of lacquer, i use This as its meant to be sprayed over smooth surfaces so it should key ok
Got a pair of Avon Roadriders to go on, but i'll leave it a few days for the lacquer to harden fully before i take them down to the local tyre spot, but to be fair, their pretty good, not too ham fisted !!
Found a 31k ignition barrel with no key, i have a key for a petrol cap so i took the ignition barrel to bits and swopped around the tumblers so the key works with the barrel, i then extended the wires as the plug is under the tank on the F1.
Had a pair of 31k switchgear so stripped them, painted the cases and applied new decals.
The F1 loom has had the stator plug cut off and replaced by some weird plug so changed that so it fits a 31k stator i have.
Wired up the 1UA cdi, according to Norbo's info page it works with the 31k stator if the red/green wires are swopped over so hopfully that should be ok
Finally wired up one of Norbo's fuse box's as the box had been cut off the loom and replaced with loose car blade fuses.
Sourced a good headlight.
Upto now it all works, flashers, headlight, idiot lights, PV motor etc so fingers crossed.....
Also found a throttle cable and a clutch lever, i've got a front brake M/C thats scabby with a bust sight glass, ive got a new glass off ebay for a quid and a M/C rebuild kit so thats my next job once ive finished my shifts again...