So connected it all up, turned the key, and....nothing ! I had to get technical with it, which meant lots of "wiggling of wires" ! So, I find the fuse box is decidedly dodgy, plus no horns, no tail light or stop lights, no neutral light on the dash, and an intermittent oil and high beam on the dash. The orange hybrid has a better condition loom sat in a cupboard, so I took the loom off this bike and fitted the substitute. A better fit for some reason (both are genuine), and I actually made a few improvements as I was doing it. I've now got lights and a rear stop light - front master didn't light up the stop light, so suspecting the little switch underneath, I swapped it for the orange bikes switch and it works Oil light on the dash is good, pass switch works, horns work. Still no neutral light but there is a wire broken in the block which is the blue neutral wire, so will have to try and fix that. Oil pump has gone off to Arrow for him to work his magic, and I got all new oil pipes and clips from Norbo. I bought some 31w carbs from Shaun some time back - he rebuilt them to 31k spec and they are ready to bolt on. I did buy some bigger pilots from Allens though as they seem to work better on the Lc engine. Blocked off the vaccum spigot first;
Once again an absolutely cracking job Dusty. I am about to start a full resto/rebuild job on a 31k I have fallen heir to so hope to start a thread like the ones you and Panzermatt have done recently. (Got the tools now lol) It is a collection of all the parts parts left over from my brother's hybrid and some bigger bits and pieces gathered from here and there. Loads still missing as well. No two parts are bolted together so a clean canvas to start. Non matching numbers also so not going to be concourse but hopefully a nice one in the end Just waiting for a nice day to get everything spread out in the garden for some pics then game on. J
Hi Alex Looms are the same size but I suspect the one that came with the bike has been badly routed back in the dim and distant past, and it really doesn't want to bend to the places it needs to be in. My other loom is better in that respect so I've used that instead. The Lc's are getting on for 40 years old now, and been through the hands of many owners over the years, with varying standards of servicing and care. With many of the parts on a bike, you can see and measure wear/damage, but the loom can hide all sorts of nasty repairs/damage, thanks to the fact they are taped up. An old loom certainly isn't pliable anymore, and tracing faults in a loom can be a time consuming nightmare ! Looking forward to your build Oldbritguy Always interested to see builds from scratch, and the beauty of a hybrid is there are no rules !!
Post by reggieperrin on Feb 11, 2019 16:16:49 GMT 1
Looking amazing Dusty. Just be careful with the overflow hoses.. Silicone and petrol doesn't mix, they'll swell and come off quite quickly. You need the black rubber, clear plastic or Tygon tube for petrol..
Spoke to Samco at the London Bike show, and the silicon hose is indeed only good for cool water ! Maybe I mis interpreted the ebay ad ? No problem, I will order some different, fuel safe hose. The lack of a neutral light meant I had to start pulling connectors apart again - not easy with the loom routed on the bike. I think there must be a break somewhere in the loom, so the easiest thing to do was prove a new wire from the switch on the engine casing up to the clocks would work the idiot light, which it did, so I then routed a new wire up to the clocks/headlight bowl. Fiddly and time consuming but done now and I have a working neutral light The oil pump is away with Arrow, but comes back next week, so with that in mind I fitted my new throttle cable;
Brilliant job, as always, cheers Gary So that was fitted last night with the new lines, new shim on the end of the drive shaft and 4 new clips. Litre of Castrol in the oil tank and I'm just waiting on new overflow pipes - today hopefully;
This bike now lives !! Fired her up for the first time last night. I did take a video which I would love to upload, but I've tried 6 times on Flikr now, and although it says it's uploaded, it hasn't Anyway, the new fuel proof overflow pipes arrived yesterday, so fitted those and hooked up the remote fuel tank. Kick, kick, kick and nothing After checking a few things it was obvious I had no spark on either cylinder. I've got Banshee coils fitted, and I wanted to eliminate them as an issue and the wiring that I made for them, so I fitted a mint Lc coil that I had and wiring went back to standard. Still no spark. So next was change over the CDI for a spare that I had. Sat it loosely on the frame and plugged it in and both plugs developed a nice blue spark ! Put them back in and it fired second kick. Pipes sound lovely ! Got to fiddle with carb settings a tad - got her idling nicely after a few minutes but it was dark by now so will sort in daylight. So I will clean up and paint the working CDI and fit that. Add coolant, buy and fit a chain and fit the new petrol tap to the tank and it's finished, barring any tweaks. And I will persevere with Flikr !!